IRS NEWS FOR PAYROLL AND HUMAN RESOURCES
►UPCOMING WEB CONFERENCES
See Webinars for Small Businesses for upcoming National and Local Webinars
Click HERE for videos recently posted to the IRS Video Portal.
IRS, States and Tax Industry Warn Employers to Beware of Form W2 Scam: Tax Season Could Bring New Surge in Phishing Scheme
•Number of victims in 2016: 100.
• Number of victims in 2017: 200, which translated into hundreds of thousands of employees who had their identities compromised.
Resources for Tax Law Changes
• Major tax changes approved by Congress became law on December 22, 2017. The IRS is working on implementing this major tax legislation that will affect both individuals and businesses. We will provide information and guidance to taxpayers, businesses and the tax community as it becomes available. Check this page for updates and resources.
Updated 2018 Withholding Tables Now Availabe; Taxpayers See Paycheck Changes February
•The IRS released Notice 1036, which updates the income-tax withholding tables for 2018 reflecting changes made by the tax reform legislation enacted last month.
• The updated withholding information shows the new rates for employers to use during 2018. Employers should begin using the 2018 withholding tables as soon as possible, but not later than Feb. 15, 2018.
• Many employees will begin to see increases in their paychecks to reflect the new law in February. The time it will take for employees to see the changes in their paychecks will vary depending on how quickly the new tables are implemented by their employers and how often they are paid — generally weekly, biweekly or monthly..
IRS2Go Mobile App
• IRS2Go is the official mobile app of the IRS
• Check your refund status, make a payment, find free tax preparation assistance, sign up for helpful tax tips, and more!
• IRS2Go is available in both English and Spanish.
IRS Outlines the Latest Tax Scams Targeting Taxpayers
REMEMBER: The IRS doesn’t initiate contact with taxpayers by email, text messages or social media channels to request personal or financial information. In addition, IRS does not threaten taxpayers with lawsuits, imprisonment or other enforcement action. Recognizing these telltale signs
of a phishing or tax scam could save you from becoming a victim.
►NEWS FROM OTHER AGENCIES
Top 10 SBA Blogs of 2017
• From tax responsibilities to running a home-based business, SBA blogs cover a variety of topics. If you’re thinking about starting or growing a business, check out SBA’s blogs to help you reach your business goals
►IN EVERY ISSUE
Federal Trade Commission:
- Individuals: https://www.identitytheft.gov/
- Business:https://www.ftc.gov/tips-advice/b security/data-security