USCIS released a new version of Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification on January 31, 2020.
Employers should begin using the new version of Form I-9 at this time.
Use of the new Form I-9 becomes mandatory starting May 1, 2020.
Need to Know:
- Grace period for using the prior version of Form I-9 through April 30, 2020.
- Mandatory use of new Form I-9 as of May 1, 2020
- Download the new Form I-9: https://www.uscis.gov/i-9
- Applies to new hires and re-verification of employment authorization for existing employees
- Added Eswatini and North Macedonia to the Country of Issuance field in section 1 and the foreign passport issuing authority field in section 2 per those countries’ recent name changes.
- Clarified that an authorized representative may be any person an employer designates to complete and sign Form I-9 on its behalf. However, the employer remains liable for any violations in connection with the form or the verification process.
- Updated USCIS website addresses.
- Provided acceptable document clarifications.
- Updated the process for requesting the paper Form I-9.
- Updated the Department of Homeland Security Privacy Notice.